Teaching Personnel are committed to ensuring that our registered supply teachers are up to date with what is happening in education and providing them with the opportunity to explore new and exciting initiatives.
Building on our existing programme of free professional development courses, we are delighted to introduce our new 'Effective Teaching and Learning' course, which explores the national strategies at primary and secondary level in relation to the Assessment for Learning Strategy. This course is available to all registered supply teachers and will be held at multiple locations throughout the UK over the course of this academic year.
The new Assessment for Learning Strategy builds on good practice developed by the Assessing Pupils Progress Initiative and the Making Good Progress Pilot. The government have made £150 million pounds available over the next three years to enable schools to develop their Assessment for Learning strategies as this is seen as a powerful way of raising pupil attainment levels.
Permanent teachers will receive training and support through the strategy, which will be funded by the government. Supply teachers however, may not have similar access. By offering this course free of charge to both our registered primary and secondary supply teachers, we can ensure that you are given an insight into the important elements of the strategy and provided with resources and pathways for further study.
The Effective Teaching and Learning course has the following objectives:
- To give attendees a structure and rational for an effective lesson
- To update attendees of latest research findings and the recommendations of National Strategies to improve the quality of teaching and learning, emphasising assessment for learning
- To demonstrate the purpose and effectiveness of using these strategies with pupils
- To provide strategies and actual classroom videos of their implementation
- To enable attendees to reflect on their own teaching and lesson planning and discuss these with colleagues.
- Attendees will have a clearer understanding of recent developments in education and will be more confident in their implementation
- Attendees will have a clear structure and rational to inform their teaching
- Attendees will be able to use this course as a stepping-stone for further research and training
- Attendees will be able to share relevant experiences with colleagues
- Attendees will improve the quality of teaching and learning in their classrooms
To book a place on this course or to find out more about our other professional development courses, please contact your local branch today.